I got my parts in to replace gasket on the 63 cdv oil pump that is leaking.

reading in the manual, it says to remove engine front covers described in 2a.

that is a BUNCH of steps to remove the gasket and the two sets of gears,   or am i over reading that and should i just stick to the disassembly while its on the engine, those 4 cap crews look easy enough access, and proceed to disassemble then reassemble under 5b and 6a  

secondly, i received the PS pump and two new lines.. pump off ok,, pulley off ok,, but those hoses back on the steering column are a real bear,, any suggestion to get those loose, only thing at this point i can see to do is cut the metal piping at at the nut and slide a socket over it,, is there a easier access to pop it loose,,  i have put some nut buster spray in it to sit all night,, see if any easier tomorrow.

Sincerely

Kim

Views: 1998

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kim, as Russ has suggested, I would leave the deep engine flush to more experienced people. I've played with this stuff since I was two and I'm 53 now so I've got a bit more experience. If Russ, Jason or I were there at your car we could probably tell you, in less than five minutes, what's wrong with you car. When I used the kerosene flush I know exactly what's going on and what every tick and fart my motor makes means. Put the proper oil back in your engine and take it to a muffler shop for a free inspection. since you have the valve covers off do the lifter test with the piece of wood first then if it isn't that do the exhaust.

With all that fuel going through your engine earlier it's possible some got to the muffler and blew it up. We've had others here that that has happened to. A blocked muffler will play havoc with your engine. The whole system needs to be eliminated from the equation before moving deeper into the engine.

Your learning new things with this car hobby and should be proud of yourself. As you get better you will be able to process more and more and really start to connect the dots when diagnosing things. Good luck

thanks,, i am certainly aware of my shortcomings here, Ii will just change the oil that i have in there, put the valve covers back on,  try to get a good look under the car at the exhaust, and if i dont see anything, take her to the exhaust shop,, if nothing there, to a shop,,

thanks again for all the suggestions from everyone,,,

Correct on all accounts Tony, but chemicals were mixed that were never intended (MMo & Seafoam)  Get it out and go from there.

Snake oil was just used to describe the mixture that was created.

Haha Tony, didn't mean to bruise your.....snake oil.

There are no magic chemicals in any of the "off the shelf" products. 95% of the product is advertising cost and most use kerosene or some like products for the carriers and other stuff like methyl ethyl ketones for the solvents. ALL Of the products for sale on the shelf buy their ingredients from wholesale suppliers. Mix them together and resell them. No magic no secret ingredients no new found lubricants just wholesale bought products that are blended to their formula and sold. If we had the ingredient list like they do for food we could make our own for 95% less. They sell this stuff to make money not to fix cars PERIOD!

DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON SYNTHETIC OIL!!!!

Give that man a prize.......

I must say, I've never, ever, had a need or desire, to flush an oiling system out.

Argh, I might just leave it at that, as I'll start a bun fight. (Back in my corner now)

Nup, can't help myself.

I guess I have to question flushing an engine with kerosene or a kerosene based product.

Kerosene is an abrasive. often used as a coolant for cutting aluminum, its also good for lapping or polishing parts in the machining trades.

Which makes me ask the following question, why would anyone stick it inside their engine?

I understand the theory of flushing an engine, but engines rely on lubrication and in the case of our engines, lots of it, which is why we have such high zinc oils used in our engines.

Yeah, I know the flushing procedure doesn't have the stuff in there for all that long, but why put it in there in the first place?

If it needs the pushrods and rocker arms cleaned, pull the bastards off, clean it properly and reinstall correctly, as in pre-lubed ready to go on start up.

Just because the flushing procedure has moved the crap out of a particular offending part, doesn't mean it made it to the sump and out when drained. Its moved it, but where to?   

OK, i'll go back to my corner..... :-)

I do think you are a bit wrong about kerosene. Not so long ago it was used as fuel in out board motors or similar.

Kerosene

Just some examples:

"As a petroleum product miscible with many industrial liquids, kerosene can be used as both a solvent, able to remove other petroleum products"

"It can be used to clean bicycle and motorcycle chains of old lubricant before relubrication"

Yeah, maybe..... feel free to try it and let me know how ya go.

I still won't be using it. :-) LOL

Yes that's what I've used it for in the past to dissolve other petroleum based products. In my case I had a pronounced lifter tick. I knew my engine had very few miles since the rebuild and had mostly just been started and moved in buildings so it never warmed up. I also questioned the age of the oil that was in it. My thoughts were that if the oil was five are ten years old it may have gummed or varished up somewhat. So I hit the EASY button and did the kerosene and then diesel flush. And as Tony would say, badda bing badda boom the tick was gone. Clean engine to boot and no tear down of the valve train. No snake oil needed just a little solvent.
One more thing is the lifter tick came and went so a lifter was pumping up then not. I studied the lifters in the shop manual and could see where a particle of crud could get in there and float around and plug off the orifice once in awhile. So I was either going to have to find what lifter it was out of 16 and pull it apart and find the piece of gunk in it or hit the easy button first.

Tony, use tha spelchecka on ya compooter.... :-)

years ago,, there was a commercial on B&W tvs,, 

like a jingle,

STP,, its the racers edge!!

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Transmission questions

Started by James Fraschieri in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Russ Austin yesterday. 8 Replies

Hello all. New member and new to classic cadillacs so I have some questions. Last year I got my hands on a resto-mod 63 coupe deville project and have been making good progress till now. I don't have…Continue

Sneak Peak at our Next Newsletter Feature - Roy Brosi's 1963 Convertible & 1964 Airstream

Started by Jason Edge in Newsletters. Last reply by Dennis P. DiBari on Thursday. 1 Reply

I have been slowly plugging away at our next newsletter which will feature Roy Brosi's 1963 Convertible and his 1964 Airstream Camper and thought I would give you all a "Sneak Peek" at our next…Continue

WTS 1964 Sedan Deville w/all options 20k

Started by Tim in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by C. Van Tune on Thursday. 2 Replies

1964 Sedan Deville with the original 429 engine and TH400 transmission. Engine has approximately 91k miles on the odometer and runs very well. I've replaced the plugs with NOS AC44 plugs, replaced…Continue

Show Your Vintage, Antique or Personalized License Plate!

Started by Jason Edge in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by C. Van Tune on Thursday. 4 Replies

I recently brought in an original, unrestored 1963 Indiana license plate…Continue

Blog Posts

Loud air moving sound within carb with cleaner removed

Posted by Dave Fehrle on March 23, 2024 at 3:23pm 8 Comments

While checking my Carter carb with engine running, I took the air cleaner off and there was a very loud hissing sound of air. I placed a piece of paper over the carb and it didn’t move up or down, is this normal?

Vintage Air AC

Posted by Chase on March 21, 2024 at 5:55am 0 Comments

Hey everyone, has anybody done a Vintage Air AC/Heat setup in their car? I want to bypass the old vacuum setup and go with a Vintage Air Gen 2 model. Before I get started, does anyone have any experience with this? (Which model to go with, do’s and dont’s, etc.) It looks pretty involved. Any and all info/pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

accumulator dryer

Posted by CHRIS CARLSON on December 6, 2023 at 10:54am 0 Comments

Who rebuilds original AC  accumulator dryers for 1964 Cadillac? I have been on Classic auto air in Tampa FL wait list for over a year ,  There is one on Old air products web site that looks very similar to the original # 21-4214A but states it fits 1962 Gm cars, The one recommended for a 1964 Cadillac is half the length 21-4215A    What  is everyone using ? I would prefer to be as original as possible. Thanks

'63 Eldorado trumpet horn + 2 standard horns restoration

Posted by Les Eastling on November 15, 2023 at 10:34am 1 Comment

My son, unbeknownst to me, had all three of the horns on our 1963 Eldorado completely restored. We had recently added the Eldorado trumpet horn to the two standard horns and the sound was not very good... we had heard good ones so we knew something was not right... but there was not much we could do to get better sound from the 3 horns. 

There is a restoration service called The Horn Works who my son…

Continue

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service