i read on a prior topic about this leaking and mine did and i put silicone around it a couple years ago, well, it came loose when i detached the ext man from the block where the tube attaches.. i should have done it when it was open more, but,,

anyway,, can you just pull the tube out completely and use the silicone under the dirt cap. or does the trans pan have to come off, replace the o ring, then use the sealant on the dirt cap?

the old discussion was a bit unclear to me on that 

Sincerely

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kim 
Go to help in the header —-Dip Stick 

Enjoy 

Just pull the dip stick and put a bead of silicone under the dirt shield.  There is a product out there that may be better. It is a black form a gasket liquid. Alot of shops use it, but the name escapes me right now.

Can the tube be pulled completely detached fron the transmission or does it need to have some of the end left in.  No springs or washers or non visible parts will come zinging out will they, if you completely remove the tube.  

Thanks

nothing at all.  the tube just goes in to the reservoir, no moving parts there.  
Just put a catch pan under it, because fluid will come out, and clean around the tube beforehand so that  no dirt falls in.

Thanks everyone

Just came across this, good read.  Avoid These Gasket Application Mistakes – Gluegun.com

Completely agree with #2:

Applying the Wrong Amount of Sealant or Gasket-Creator

Using too much sealant is as bad as using too little. Too much may clog other areas of the engine, while too little may mean an inefficient seal.

Often you can just use just a dab of sealant to hold a gasket in place and let the gasket do its job 

It will be a blessing when and if you need to disassemble that part in the future 

Enjoy 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

63 rear main seal

Started by Luther in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 4 hours ago. 7 Replies

Hello all , just spent better part of the weekend installing a new rear main seal and pan set on my 63 390 , all though it slowed the leak down considerably , l still have a drip , l used a Felpro…Continue

Very sensitive brakes.

Started by Phil in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 6 hours ago. 16 Replies

Hey everyone,  how sensitive should the power brakes be?  I have just rebuilt the power booster and  replaced the master cylinder. The pedal doesn’t have any resistance so I have to be very gentle so…Continue

RPM at 70

Started by Pete Grodem in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Kurt 12 hours ago. 1 Reply

I was questioning if my 63 was shifting into 4th , so I installed a tach and don't notice a 3-4 shift. Cruising at 70 the RPM is at 2600. Sounds high.  Has anyone noted RPM's at highway speeds?. I…Continue

Blog Posts

Torque converter grab when idling in Drive

Posted by Cliff Johnston on June 14, 2021 at 8:47pm 2 Comments

Hi Everyone, been quite a while since i have been on here.

I have had an issue with the idle on my 64 Coupe Deville ever since i have had it.

With the Idle set high enough that it is smooth, but still a nice idle, the RPM seems only slightly too high for the stall of the Torque Converter. And therefore it tends to sit there and grab and lunge a bit. So until now, i have been putting the car in Neutral at the lights to stop this happening.

I've had the car dyno tuned and…

Continue

Can you help? Driveshaft Question....

Posted by Chris on May 30, 2021 at 8:55am 1 Comment

Hello!

Newbie to the group here - we have already found tons of invaluable information on the board, so thanks! We are restoring a 1963 Series 62 Convertible. We are wondering if anyone knows of a source to buy the propellor yoke flange (that bolts to the pinion flange) for the driveshaft? One of our ears partially broke off. Not sure if we can buy just the yoke flange as an aftermarket part, or if it has to be rebuilt by a welder/fab guy? Maybe a salvage yard for a source? Again, any…

Continue

Thank you Kurt re: VIN location

Posted by Robert Pellow on April 19, 2021 at 1:07pm 0 Comments

I just wanted to say a thank you to Kurt for steering me to the tech tips page on V.I.N. locations.  Excellent information.  Thanks a bundle.

Robert Pellow

V.I.N. where?

Posted by Robert Pellow on April 18, 2021 at 1:41pm 6 Comments

Where can I find the V.I.N. on a 63 convertible?  The usual space at the base of the interior windshield on the driver's side has been decimated by weather.

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service