Got pump put bk on.  Poured in some AF into the pump.no sign of leak but only poured in bout 2 or 3 quarts.down the crossover tude directly into pump.  Dnt kno if that will indicate further leak or not but thought worth a try before re hooking everything bk up.

Regardi g fat o ring.  I had a little bubble up there on first fill up, wondered if two would work.  Anyone tried that? 2 w sealant?

Kom

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kim

i used two O rings and Permatex on mine many years ago with no problem since 

Do Keep in mind that the cooling system is under some pressure after the car is running and  that will push AF out of a gasket even with what you did by pouring it thru the pump which I think did not show you much regarding it possibly leaking in the future per that test 

If the leak should pop up unexpectedly during the start up you can loosen the rad  cap  one notch ( the cap will still stay on ) to reduce the pressure in the coolant system and run the car that way for a period of time 

The engine may run —-a little hotter with the rad cap open but not much of an issue otherwise 

That should get you thru your start up if the leak shows itself then 

Wishing you some god luck ( meant— good luck —but thought that was a funny thing to happen ) regarding the leak repair  and  the future  the start up 

Enjoy 

Yes,  i nvr got it started and the leak was coming out of bottom of seal.  Unless pressure builds during filling, shoukdbe any pressure shouod therr?

Other thing is, these are like fat little do nuts, as opposed to  a sk8nny little o ring.   . 2 is ok?  Less goop

Yes they are fat thick O rings and I used two myself 

There is no pressure when filling ( pouring fluid in )
Only when running engine for a bit and AF is getting hot 
What you are experiencing are the block and heads  filling with AF you are pouring in until it rises inside the block up to the O ring  that was leaking and then  has come out the O ring  which of coarse is at the  top of the engine so most of the AF has been put into the engine at that point 

If you pour AF into the cross over tube( down the thermostat hole )  until it is full to the top —-the level will then be above the O ring joint in the cross over tube so you will then know if it leaks— with no internal engine pressure being applied which is  then a good chance it could hold when the pressure is then applied but no guarantees  until pressure tested 

Enjoy 

I dealt with the same leak when I changed my water pump a few years ago. Rather than using 2 O-rings, I turned a sleeve that fit on the crossover tube fitting and forced the O-ring down into the water pump and it worked great. I think I ended up making it about 1/8" thick. You could probably get the same effect by using washers if you can find some the right size.

Ok, thanks

Well, i got it put back togeterher up through the crossover pipe.   Filled it up,to bout inch from top of radiator.  No leaks, albeit not under pressure. So late today or tomorow,  hv to get oil parts back on, and starr tonight ir tomorow.   

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 2 hours ago. 1 Reply

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Happy Father's Day!

Started by Jason Edge in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 15 hours ago. 1 Reply

Happy Father's Day to my dad, Sam Edge. He was there in the beginning with…Continue

622 nss 63 tilt

Started by Kim K Kaiser in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 yesterday. 7 Replies

Previously, i mentioned the  bu lights didnt work, and conversatiin went to nss.   Mine has the two jumped wire bypass so car will go in drive/start.Got the switch out and the outer tract plastic is…Continue

Timing chain help

Started by Cody in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 on Saturday. 3 Replies

I have the front of my engine taken apart to replace the timing chain and gears. According to the manual it says to remove the cam gear and chain together then the crank gear.I can’t for the life of…Continue

Blog Posts

New vehicle in the club

Posted by Patrick Westphal on June 17, 2021 at 4:00pm 1 Comment

I was successful in getting a vehicle from the New York contact I talked about at the last club meeting. I am still trying to figure out how to post a picture of the vehicle that is tied with this comment so if you see a random picture of a black convertible in a yard, that's me haha.  …

Continue

Torque converter grab when idling in Drive

Posted by Cliff Johnston on June 14, 2021 at 8:47pm 2 Comments

Hi Everyone, been quite a while since i have been on here.

I have had an issue with the idle on my 64 Coupe Deville ever since i have had it.

With the Idle set high enough that it is smooth, but still a nice idle, the RPM seems only slightly too high for the stall of the Torque Converter. And therefore it tends to sit there and grab and lunge a bit. So until now, i have been putting the car in Neutral at the lights to stop this happening.

I've had the car dyno tuned and…

Continue

Can you help? Driveshaft Question....

Posted by Chris on May 30, 2021 at 8:55am 1 Comment

Hello!

Newbie to the group here - we have already found tons of invaluable information on the board, so thanks! We are restoring a 1963 Series 62 Convertible. We are wondering if anyone knows of a source to buy the propellor yoke flange (that bolts to the pinion flange) for the driveshaft? One of our ears partially broke off. Not sure if we can buy just the yoke flange as an aftermarket part, or if it has to be rebuilt by a welder/fab guy? Maybe a salvage yard for a source? Again, any…

Continue

Thank you Kurt re: VIN location

Posted by Robert Pellow on April 19, 2021 at 1:07pm 0 Comments

I just wanted to say a thank you to Kurt for steering me to the tech tips page on V.I.N. locations.  Excellent information.  Thanks a bundle.

Robert Pellow

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service