My woes are FINALLY finished. 

If you've been following along or in any of the group meetings, a consistent point of conversation for my Fleetwood has been the transmission. 

It started maybe 6 mos after I brought it home, when the engine and trans would get all warmed up, it would no longer shift into 3rd. Sometimes, under heavy throttle, it would kick into third, but that was inconsistent. 

I changed over the vacuum modulator as was suggested here and amongst other places. That did not fix the issue and little did I realize, I would dump trans fluid all over as well. 

Then I wondered if the vacuum line to the modulator was plugged, it was not. 

Then it was suggested that perhaps the governor gear was chewed up like the shape of an apple that's been eaten, like this )( 

So I raced to a town about 45 minutes away with the only trans shop that had a governor gear kit for the 64 Turbo Hydramatic. Later that afternoon, I attempted the repair of pulling the governor and changing the nails used for pins, swapping over the gear, and cleaning the valve in the governor. Also dumping trans fluid all over my face and the ground. 

This also did not fix the issue. I was stumped and defeated. 

I just kept driving the car. It was going to need a new trans or at least one that was rebuilt or out of a running/driving car. I did have my own trick for getting the car to shift into 3rd. I was able to get the car up to about 55-60 mph, shift into N, and then when I dropped back down into drive, it would hit 3rd briefly, then kick itself back down to second. However, if you gave it a little throttle in the split second it hits 3rd, it'll stay in 3rd until you down shift again. This probably wasnt the best on the engine or the trans, but the oil in the engine looks A OK and the trans was toast anyway, so no bother worrying about that. 

Then to save the day, Jason delivered my a transmission essentially to my back door. He was in town to pick up a parts car was was staying in a hotel about 10 minutes from me. 

I figured I would give one of Jasons used trans a try before shelling out the big bucks to have the transmission rebuilt. It was a bit of a gamble using a used transmission, but from all accounts, these trans are bullet proof, so I figured I give it a go. 

I had been trying to get with a friend of mine for MONTHS to get the trans in and our schedules just didnt line up. 

Finally, this past weekend, we got it in. Boy, it was QUICK, I was surprised. We had the old trans out and the new one in at exactly 2.5 hrs. Inspected the driveshaft, and it looks great as well! replaced the rear trans mount and that helped TREMENDOUSLY. That is the main take away from this LONG post!

If you have some drive line vibration, replace that rear mount! Mine was crushed about 5/8''. That was certainly messing with the driveline angle of these two piece drive shafts.  

Now the car SAILS down Old Rt 66 with ease. I've driven about 50 miles on the New/Used trans, and it hasn't missed a beat so far. Its been rather hot here in Illinois, and the trans has certainly gotten up to temp and there has been no loss of third gear shift at all. Heres to hoping it stays that way for some time to come until I can get the old one rebuilt!

Anyhow, if you read all of this, thanks! I figured it would be good for myself and anyone else who may have this issue to have a recap all in one spot to help them troubleshoot if needed. 

Thanks!

Logan

Views: 41

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Logan,

I read your post on the tranny.  Congrats for the work you put into the fix.  Sometimes it just takes perseverance.  I remember you spoke about it on the last Zoom meeting.  As far as the starter heating up, can you attach a piece of thin sheet metal bent around the starter and use a starter bolt to hold it?  If not possible, attach the sheet metal shield to the exhaust pipe.  Slit two holes in the shield and use an exhaust clamp or large hose clamp to attach it.  It might offer some heat deflection?  Just a thought.

Dennis DiBari, Cottekill, NY

Really glad to read that the transmission is working out!  

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Here we go again - Help! - Transmission overheating

Started by Daniela in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by C. Van Tune yesterday. 11 Replies

All,I can’t believe I have to ask for help again. I really thought I was done with repairs. I did drive my 63 Eldorado a couple of times on side roads and all was good. last week I took it out bc it…Continue

Tags: overheating, transmission, NewRadiator

Intake manifold

Started by Alan Grst in Wanted to Buy yesterday. 0 Replies

Greetings,I am looking for an intake manifold for a '64 429.Thanks!Continue

1961 1962 1963 Cadillac Headlamp Switch

Started by Doug Scarrow in For Sale on Wednesday. 0 Replies

just listed rebuilt 61 thru 63 Cadillac Headlamp switch exceptional  part works as good as new https://www.ebay.ca/itm/266985683232.Continue

Limited slip/positraction differential fluid/oil

Started by John C. Churchill in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Russ Austin on Tuesday. 1 Reply

I will need to replenish/change the fluid/oil in my 64 Eldorado’s positraction differential.  Now that sperm whale oil is no longer available as an additive, what is the proper oil to use, and where…Continue

Blog Posts

New old stock seat material

Posted by Ray Schick on August 22, 2024 at 6:25pm 2 Comments

I bought this seat material thinking that it’s…

Continue

Loud air moving sound within carb with cleaner removed

Posted by Dave Fehrle on March 23, 2024 at 3:23pm 8 Comments

While checking my Carter carb with engine running, I took the air cleaner off and there was a very loud hissing sound of air. I placed a piece of paper over the carb and it didn’t move up or down, is this normal?

Vintage Air AC

Posted by Chase on March 21, 2024 at 5:55am 0 Comments

Hey everyone, has anybody done a Vintage Air AC/Heat setup in their car? I want to bypass the old vacuum setup and go with a Vintage Air Gen 2 model. Before I get started, does anyone have any experience with this? (Which model to go with, do’s and dont’s, etc.) It looks pretty involved. Any and all info/pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

accumulator dryer

Posted by CHRIS CARLSON on December 6, 2023 at 10:54am 0 Comments

Who rebuilds original AC  accumulator dryers for 1964 Cadillac? I have been on Classic auto air in Tampa FL wait list for over a year ,  There is one on Old air products web site that looks very similar to the original # 21-4214A but states it fits 1962 Gm cars, The one recommended for a 1964 Cadillac is half the length 21-4215A    What  is everyone using ? I would prefer to be as original as possible. Thanks

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service