Head Gasket on 429 - If it were put on upside down, what would happen?

My newly rebuilt engine got hot immediately on first run. Did this 3 out of 3 tries, blew hose off first two times. It fails compression test badly.

My question it this... Can the head gasket go on upside down? If so, what would the result be?

Views: 278

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I ran the car this evening, and it ran very well, at 186 degrees at the T'Stat housing. Temp gauge read normal, about 1/3 of the way up or so. Same as it did in the past. This time I repainted the radiator support and fan shroud, and put them in, along with the fan. That helped. My water pump pulley has a slight wobble right now, so I have to get on that and check that I have it in completely straight. I suspect I don't!

End cause was the air pocket in the cooling system, that I foolishly missed, the first time I ran it. This caused the head gaskets to go. I replaced the head gaskets, and compression in the three low comp corner cylinders increased quite a lot. So did a couple of others. I still have lower compression on three out of the four corner cylinders, but it has just shy of a half hour run time on it now. It runs smoothly and quietly with no load, thus far. It got better after I adjusted the timing and dwell. It really runs nicely. Those three lower comp cylinders are the only spoiler.

So now I continue on with the reassembly of the car.

Let the rings seat by putting a few thousand  miles  on the engine and compression should show improvement 

Keep an eye on the oil level as it will be higher usage than normal now 

The stock rings on our engines take more time to seat than most  due to their metallurgy 

You could be just fine 

Enjoy the new rebuild 

Enjoy

I know that is a big relief! You expect the worse and when it turns out not to be so bad you will enjoy the results that much better. In other words you appreciate a good running engine when you get past a scare like that. Get that water pump in check you should be for smooth cruising in the coming months.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

63 rear main seal

Started by Luther in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 4 hours ago. 7 Replies

Hello all , just spent better part of the weekend installing a new rear main seal and pan set on my 63 390 , all though it slowed the leak down considerably , l still have a drip , l used a Felpro…Continue

Very sensitive brakes.

Started by Phil in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 5 hours ago. 16 Replies

Hey everyone,  how sensitive should the power brakes be?  I have just rebuilt the power booster and  replaced the master cylinder. The pedal doesn’t have any resistance so I have to be very gentle so…Continue

RPM at 70

Started by Pete Grodem in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Kurt 12 hours ago. 1 Reply

I was questioning if my 63 was shifting into 4th , so I installed a tach and don't notice a 3-4 shift. Cruising at 70 the RPM is at 2600. Sounds high.  Has anyone noted RPM's at highway speeds?. I…Continue

Blog Posts

Torque converter grab when idling in Drive

Posted by Cliff Johnston on June 14, 2021 at 8:47pm 2 Comments

Hi Everyone, been quite a while since i have been on here.

I have had an issue with the idle on my 64 Coupe Deville ever since i have had it.

With the Idle set high enough that it is smooth, but still a nice idle, the RPM seems only slightly too high for the stall of the Torque Converter. And therefore it tends to sit there and grab and lunge a bit. So until now, i have been putting the car in Neutral at the lights to stop this happening.

I've had the car dyno tuned and…

Continue

Can you help? Driveshaft Question....

Posted by Chris on May 30, 2021 at 8:55am 1 Comment

Hello!

Newbie to the group here - we have already found tons of invaluable information on the board, so thanks! We are restoring a 1963 Series 62 Convertible. We are wondering if anyone knows of a source to buy the propellor yoke flange (that bolts to the pinion flange) for the driveshaft? One of our ears partially broke off. Not sure if we can buy just the yoke flange as an aftermarket part, or if it has to be rebuilt by a welder/fab guy? Maybe a salvage yard for a source? Again, any…

Continue

Thank you Kurt re: VIN location

Posted by Robert Pellow on April 19, 2021 at 1:07pm 0 Comments

I just wanted to say a thank you to Kurt for steering me to the tech tips page on V.I.N. locations.  Excellent information.  Thanks a bundle.

Robert Pellow

V.I.N. where?

Posted by Robert Pellow on April 18, 2021 at 1:41pm 6 Comments

Where can I find the V.I.N. on a 63 convertible?  The usual space at the base of the interior windshield on the driver's side has been decimated by weather.

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service