The bench seats in my ‘64 need to be recovered.  I want to get the leather and perforation as close to the original as possible, particularly with the very smooth glove leather.  Any thoughts or recommendations?  Attached is a pic of the perforation sample from my upholstery guy.  It’s not quite right.

Views: 159

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alright, I'll start. SMS Auto Fabrics (contact info is under the Parts Suppliers, Service tab above) will provide top quality, factory correct material. However they are not known for quick turnaround time or prompt status updates on orders. I'm sure you can do a search of our website here and find many stories about SMS. With all that said, after your interior is done, it will look fantastic and the prior frustration experienced before that point will fade. If you do go with SMS, whatever lead time they give you, triple it and you will be in the ball park. Good luck with your restoration.

Thank you Kurt.  I checked out the website and put in a request for a call and leather sample.  While the perforation looks correct, I’m can’t tell from the picture that the smooth leather is smooth enough.  But with all the reports here, seems like a good bet.  
Do you know if they create the entire seat upholstery and then my upholstery guy here installs the covers, or does SMS simply provide bolts of the material that my upholstery guy then sews?

I don't know if they create seat upholstery covers. When I had my seats done in 2006, I ordered leather, vinyl, and fabric from them and had a local upholsterer make the seats. My interior is Rose and it took a couple of tries for them to provide the correct color leather swatch. Also mine is a 63 so non-perforated. Black may be more readily available. 

They supply the material only unless they do the complete job ( forever - sometimes years ) but all do say worth the wait for the  degree of perfection they turn out 

Enjoy 

Got.  Thanks.

Micheal

SMS requires full payment up front  (WHAT ? ) — then you wait until they take their sweet time to get your parts ready with the correct original materials used 

They do the job first class job  —but  very very frustrating waiting time from all the  prior posts 

They do not stay in touch !

Covid did slow the process as with many other things 

I think they are the only people with the correct original materials needed for the job 

Some order the materials and have another interior shop install the parts as an alternative to not be at their mercy 

Very nice work you are having done to bring your Cadillac to another level — Just Love It ! 

Enjoy 

Thanks, Tony.  I’ll keep you posted.

SMS is by no means the only game in town, they probably don't even do their own leather pressing.
I haven't been active in upholstery in a long while, but in the old days, there were a few places that had the roll dies to emboss the 64 pattern.  One was a guy in NY state,   his company was named Putt Georgi, in the 90's he had the rolls to make the impression.   Another was standard embossing in Newark, who may have had the rolls too, i never used them.   These are just two from the northeast US, certainly there are more around the US.   Cadillac reused the pattern in the 80s in the Cimarron, but in vinyl, if you are into fun facts.

I can't say whether these companies are even still in business, but i'm sure that someone still has the rolls, they aren't something to get thrown away.

Putt Georgi seems to still be in business.  Thanks for the additional lead.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Headlight/wiring issue

Started by Chris miller in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 17 hours ago. 4 Replies

Hello Cadillac family I need some help. I am having an electrical issue and trying to pinpoint what may be causing my issue. With the car running and the headlights on for a bit all of the lights…Continue

63 electric fuel pump questions

Started by Kim K Kaiser in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Kim K Kaiser yesterday. 3 Replies

I have had another bout of what I perceive as vapor lock.. its been warm again out here in MT, and I took the car for a several hour ride. Ran flawlessly,,, until I got back to town,  some slow…Continue

Was there Originally Carpet Inside 1964 Eldorado Center Console?

Started by C. Van Tune in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by john w. warner yesterday. 7 Replies

Is there supposed to be carpet inside the '64 Eldo center console?There is carpet in mine, and it's a deeper pile than what's on the floor (which has probably been replaced.)Here's some pix of mine.…Continue

Blog Posts

Trunk Open and Lock Mechanism is in Closed Position

Posted by Chris Anderson on September 13, 2022 at 7:14pm 7 Comments

While working on my trunk lock on 64 Cadillac, I mistakenly closed the locking mechanism while the trunk was open.  Is there an easy way to manually release the lock back to the open position?

Thanks.

Fuel Pump Failure

Posted by Jon Shields on August 6, 2022 at 6:48am 4 Comments

Hello,

I'm located in Melbourne, Australia and my 64 sedan de ville is stuck in the garage due to failed mechanical fuel pump. The first after market mechanical fuel pump lasted a few years before it failed & left me stranded 5 hours from home. A hire car and tow got us home. On inspection, I noticed a valve not seated within the housing. I was optimistic, pressed it into place and assumed the pump was good to go. But alas, no. From what I can now determine, the diaphragm pushrod…

Continue

Renovation project 1964 Cadillac Deville convertible

Posted by Balachne on May 31, 2022 at 7:00am 3 Comments

Renovation project 1964 Cadillac Deville convertible

Introduction

To achieve an excellent result of vehicle restoration, it is essential to  manage this task as one manages an industrial project.

To do this we will use a certain formalism of project management and therefore start by defining the need. It is from this that we will deduce the scope, then the time of execution of the…

Continue

I was working on my HVAC system this winter and during the process of taking the dash pad off these two parts fell out. Does anyone know what they are and where they go?

Posted by Patrick Westphal on April 12, 2022 at 1:35pm 1 Comment

I was working on my HVAC system this winter and during the process of taking the dash pad off these two parts fell out. Does anyone know what they are and where they go?

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2022   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service