my 63 electric windows work as follows from the driver side

driver window up and down,,,,ok

passenger window,  no down, up works ok

both rear neither work from the driver control switch, 

BUT, all work from there respective window switch,

I pulled the door apart and looking the manual under electrical but found nothing referring to the above.

only thing I noticed on the passenger window wire, (gold wire) was little loose, so I pulled it, squeezed it down to accept a tighter fit on the pin, but nothing changed.

I checked the help section under electrical and windows but didnt find a solution there.

what is the checking procedure to figure out how to get them working from the driver control panel

thanks

Views: 45

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kim

Remove the rubber boot in the driver side door jam 

You should be seeing some broken wiring inside that boot 

Al wires are color coded so just join them back together where they are broken 

You  may have to  feel ( with finger tips )and inspect the wiring if the break is inside the wires covering to find it 

Wires just break from the constant use of the driver door over the years 

That should fix some or all of your issues 

Heat shrink and solder is the best fix for long term use 

You may have to add a  small piece of wire to be joining the original wires together to get the connection done 

I have used the egg corn type was nuts used in household wiring as a temp fix to join the wiring back together until I could solder them later 

Enjoy 

Check for any fuse problems you may be having by checking them 

Enjoy 

Kim,

The windows are pretty straight forward circuits.  The 12 volt power for the windows come from the same circuit breaker, it does not matter which switch is operation the window.  Therefore if the window operates with the switch in that door then you can be pretty sure that the circuit breaker is good (unless someone altered the wiring on your car - always a possibility).  So if the window works with the switch in the passenger and rear doors as you stated but not with the master switch in the drivers door then it should be one of two causes.  One is an open wire between the driver's door master switch and the passenger or rear door as was mentioned in the other post.  The other possibility is that the master switch in the driver's door itself has an open circuit.  That could be in either internal to the master switch, or the connector to the switch which is in the driver's door armrest.  I found that connector to be questionable on my vehicle.  I also found a helpful wiring diagram for our vehicles by looking up under Google the following; 'color wiring diagram 1964 cadillac deville'  Good luck.  

ok,, thanks to you both

Well, i decided to try and figure out windows, so exposed wires at door.  As you can see, someone had been there befire.  Black tape connections had pulled loose. Etc.  So i cut out the bad sections back to were i couldntvsee any wire dmg. Made extensiins. And put all bk together. That rubber boot nipples were all dry and broke. Making it somewhat useles, but i got it all hooked bak uo, wrapped itvall in electriction tape. Taped up the rubber boot, all windows and door liggts work now. Thanks to all for the direction

Kim

A gears feeling getting your repair projects repaired and  back working as they SB  ——nice job !

Enjoy —-pushing those buttons 

SB—-A great feeling  ( spell check stuff )

Enjoy 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

TH400 into 63 SDV

Started by Rick Seiden in General Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 3 hours ago. 2 Replies

After battling with my original trans for several years. Leaks, Shifter getting locked up internally, Torus Seals, More leaks, and finally a professional rebuild that lasted about 3000 trouble free…Continue

Tags: pndlr, prndl, transmission, th400, hydramatic

Timelapse Rebuild of a 1957 Cadillac 365 V-8 Engine

Started by Jason Edge in General Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 10 hours ago. 3 Replies

Saw the link on the CLC forums today and thought I would share to the CLC FB Group. This is a prior generation engine to our 1963-64 390's & 429's but this is a pretty cool time lapse of a…Continue

Classic Cadillac Parts For Sale - Misc Items

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge yesterday. 300 Replies

I have posted a few Misc items over on my Classic Cadillac Parts Facebook page at…Continue

Tags: classic cadillac parts, classiccadillacparts

Blog Posts

bright beam flashes

Posted by Kim K Kaiser on January 9, 2022 at 12:55pm 5 Comments

HI again,

I have the 63 cdv, with the flash assister on the dash,  

My hi lo beams flash back and forth intermittently.  sometimes they dont start flashing at all, sometimes they will just start flasihing on and off until I hit the button on the floor to get them to stop.  sometimes they sound someone is down there hitting the floor button but the lights dont respond, you can hear the click but nothing happens, as if I have no control over that floor button. I have turned off…

Continue

Map Light

Posted by RIchard Yasenchack on January 1, 2022 at 8:07pm 7 Comments

I have a 63 Cadillac Series 62 convertible.  Can someone post a picture showing what the map light should look like?

Mine is a meta air vent like grating, which just does not look right for a map light.

Thanks in advance.  Rick

Upgrades for the Coupe de Ville

Posted by Kurt on December 24, 2021 at 6:00pm 4 Comments

At long last I finally have power vent windows! I started collecting the parts 3 years ago. The one thing I could not find until recently is the 6 button driver's switch. Jason finally pulled one in and was more than generous with pricing. Thanks Jason! Installing the vent window motors was the easiest part of the project but many other tasks were spawned by this project.

1. There is a hole in the door panels where the window crank was. I considered putting a hub cap emblem there…
Continue

center bolt size for crankshaft pulley

Posted by Dan Norris on December 6, 2021 at 3:13pm 2 Comments

I need to pull my distributor, and still have the cork in the end of the crankshaft. What is the bolt size needed to thread a bolt in there to be able to turn the motor over with a pull handle and socket to get it to TDC exactly before I pull the distributor out?

Dan

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2022   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service