I have been intermittently working on parts Car #55, a 1963 Series 62 Four Window Sedan, between work on my new house addition project (ready to start floor framing once foundation and drainage is inspected), and just pulled the front clip off this past week as seen below. Looking past the heavy rusting on the pulley from this update NY car, it is always nice to see what looks like an original unmolested cork in the front of the crank. Yeah, they can be put back, but often they are not.  Anyway, I will do a deep dive into this engine in the coming days and find out what lurks behind the cork!

Views: 134

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jason 

Reminds me of the —-smallest bikini —- a cork and two bandaids —- LOL !!! 

Enjoy 

There are ways to replace a missing crankshaft cork. My local Ace hardware actually has a selection of corks in the bits & pieces of the nut & bolt department. I recall repurposing a wine cork way back when I was going for as much originality as I could possibly get.

Ian, I have a bin full of cork about the same size from Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace, etc.  As  noted "they can be put back, but often they are not."  There is no guarantee. I am just saying from my experience parting out upwards of 60 of these, when they look original and have the same age patina as the rest of the engine it is often a good indication. I might pop that cover off and find shiny new steel cam gear sans the original nylon coating... but that has generally not been my experience. I guess another way of putting it, is I would rather find the engine with a "original looking cork" in it rather than without, as the chances are greater you may be dealing with a virgin engine. 

CHEERS !! — pop the cork - I’ll drink to that !  —-a  possible virgin   unmolested and original engine !!

That would be an unexpected wonderful  treat to be finding so I do understand your excitement 

Enjoy 

You would have to find the correct bolt size —-so that you can reinstall the crank pulley ( there are threads for a bolt behind that cork )  —once it is removed - as in not  a virgin engine but disassembled before 

I know one of the front bumper bolts is the correct size to do that 

A that point in time  —-I  myself would be keeping that bolt in place of the original cork as that is how most GM engines left the factory — with a bolt-  from my  own limited experience 

Finding an original cork could mean a low mileage much better than average Cadillac engine in front of your face and that’s  a real good thing for acquiring future good replacement parts 

I get your excitement —-BIG TIME ! 

Enjoy 

I've been  pulling cork for 25 years  now. Find them really nice they still have blue on tip.

Based on the undisturbed & original looking cork I was not surprised to find the original nylon coated cam gear lurking underneath. An additional plus is the teeth are in great shape. I don't see any chip away on this one. This should be a great engine for someone. The front cover really looked good. Just fyi, when I pull things like engine covers off, I have a large rolling wire cart that I use to saturate the front cover with oven cleaner, then hit it with the pressure washer. For things that get heavy grease and dirt build up, oven cleaner works great. I also have several other cleaning trick I might go over sometime in a a newsletter.

Anyway, Here is the latest look at this parts car with the nice cam gear and engine & tranny ready to pull out tomorrow.

Jason 
A wonderful find for you and the engines next owner 

Enjoy 

I  really enjoy seeing the stock Teflon timing gear and stock  timing chain—— knowing it is original stock issue in 63-64 ( but surely not as much as you ) 

Looks  interestingly Pretty to me ( I know its weird ! ! ) 

Enjoy 

That cam timing gear and the stock timing chain in there condition have to be —-one of the most difficult parts ever —to be finding in any reasonable condition at this point in time 

That set really looks fresh 

I think those parts —are worthy of a mounting and framing —to be kept in your garage -  and possibly in your display when you show the car at any given car  show 

They display  the technology in our years used to cover the timing gear to be making the gear and chain more quite than before 

Teflon is a plastic stronger than steel but the test of time  and  high miles has proven  the Teflon gear covering  to come  apart as time and mileage have damaged most of them causing us to upgrade to Steel replacements 

I would do something very special with those parts as they are truly RARE ( a museum piece ? ) 

Oh well - I will calm down now 

Enjoy 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Rear windows inoperable

Started by Richard Lange in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Jay Waters 6 hours ago. 7 Replies

The rear windows will not go down on my 64 DeVille convertible. Front windows work fine. Any suggestions on how to get them down. Thanks RichardContinue

parasitic draw

Started by Chris miller in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by john w. warner 23 hours ago. 5 Replies

i am having an issue where my battery is dying after leaving the car for about a week without starting it. i have a brand new redtop optima battery and was having the same issue with the previous…Continue

Jason

Started by Tony and Ginny 429 in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 yesterday. 2 Replies

Congrats on your Grand Nationals first place win and your  new Vice President status Why am I sure ——you will be president one day  very soon ?The trophy  you won is very pretty one Like that you…Continue

Tags: CLC

1964 sedan deville 4 door transmission speeds

Started by Jay Waters in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Kurt yesterday. 4 Replies

How many speeds does a 1964 sedan deville 4 door have ? My column indicator only has P/R/N/D/L.It is starting in first and shifting to second pretty smooth, but want to be sure there isn't an…Continue

Blog Posts

Renovation project 1964 Cadillac Deville convertible

Posted by Balachne on May 31, 2022 at 7:00am 3 Comments

Renovation project 1964 Cadillac Deville convertible

Introduction

To achieve an excellent result of vehicle restoration, it is essential to  manage this task as one manages an industrial project.

To do this we will use a certain formalism of project management and therefore start by defining the need. It is from this that we will deduce the scope, then the time of execution of the…

Continue

I was working on my HVAC system this winter and during the process of taking the dash pad off these two parts fell out. Does anyone know what they are and where they go?

Posted by Patrick Westphal on April 12, 2022 at 1:35pm 1 Comment

I was working on my HVAC system this winter and during the process of taking the dash pad off these two parts fell out. Does anyone know what they are and where they go?

1964 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible Speedometer Bulbs

Posted by Russell L Parr on April 1, 2022 at 9:15pm 6 Comments

I need to replace the bulbs for the speedometer cluster in my instrument panel..

Before I open up the dash, I want to have the necessary bulbs on hand.

Can someone help me determine what bulbs I need, the number of bulbs I need,  and where to purchase them?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

1964 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible Speedometer Bulbs

Posted by Russell L Parr on April 1, 2022 at 9:15pm 0 Comments

I need to replace the bulbs for the speedometer cluster in my instrument panel..

Before I open up the dash, I want to have the necessary bulbs on hand.

Can someone help me determine what bulbs I need, the number of bulbs I need,  and where to purchase them?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2022   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service